EMP offers a variety of valuable events that support the efforts of local educators, including biannual Teacher Professional Development Days, Homeschool Days, and music and literary student competitions such as Write Out of This World.
STEAM Professional Development Week
Led by master teaching artist Darwin Nordin, this 30-hour professional development workshop will focus on deepening the best practices for the integration of arts into STEM education. Participants will engage in hands-on projects—paper engineering, sketching, sculpture, creative movement, writing, music/sound—designed to actively and intentionally address students’ multiple learning styles in new, exciting ways. We aim to reach a wider body of students who may feel intimidated by the way STEM disciplines have traditionally been taught by providing inspiring tools to engage your imagination as a teacher and spark connection with your students.
- June 29–July 3, 2015; EMP Museum; 8:30am–3:30pm
- $160 (30 Washington State clock hours avaiable)
EMP offers homeschooled students and their families a unique opportunity to participate in thematic hands-on experiences centered on the museum’s exhibits and content. Each Homeschool Day will feature a different student-centered workshop led by a professional teaching artist, a guided gallery experience, and free time to explore our exciting and interactive exhibits.
- September 18, 2014—The Science of Sound
- November 20, 2014—Filmmaking and Music Videos
- January 15, 2015—Introduction to Scratch Animation and Game Design
- March 19, 2015—Introduction to Cartooning and Graphic Novels
- May 21, 2015—Writing in Action